fsf-community-team

Re: [fsf-community-team] What online informational materials are availab

From: Osama KM
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] What online informational materials are available?...
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:29:20 +0300

On Saturday 06 February 2010 07:34:04 Alex Chekholko wrote:
> I recommend focusing on just the one page with the four freedoms:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

I don't think that page is made for beginners to start with. I'm a big fan of
GNU/Linux Matters two websites:

http://www.softwareliberty.com/
http://www.getgnulinux.org/

Here is a quoted text from their website:
"We try to stand mid-way between the FSF’s website (rigorous, precise,
detailed, philosophical, but no place to send your mum straight to if you want
her to switch) and a SpreadFirefox-like campaign (efficient, clear, simple
marketing, but oblivious to free software ideas)."[0]

I link to both sites on tinyogg.com (everyone already knows about tinyogg
website, right? :))

> Then give a couple of practical examples; e.g. being able to freely
> and legally hand to your friends a CD with excellent software like
> Ubuntu or Inkscape (as opposed to MS Windows or Adobe Illustrator).

The problem is that most people respond saying that they, as individuals,
"aren't really in danger especially in counties that doesn't roughly enforce
copyright restrictions". They're, hmm usually(?), right about that.

I like to talk about standing for a free society (mentioned in get GNU/Linux
website) and the DRM implementation in Windows and Mac. I also started to talk
about the status of unequal opportunities and the "non-free market" they're
making in the software business.

Do you have any good arguments? I always wanted to know how people talk about
free software.

> RMS has a good bit in his speeches about having to choose staying
> legal or staying friends, e.g. when a friend asks you for a copy of
> commercial software that you only have a single license for.

Stallman speeches are really good and he, like, alway talks about the basic
ideas of the Free Software movement. I enjoyed listening to his talks at the
beginning, but I'm wondering if everybody wants to listen to such
philosophical, political speeches

[0]: http://www.gnulinuxmatters.org/about/faq/

--
Osama Khalid
An FSF member -- Support software freedom.