fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] Help with FSF Canada chapter?

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] Help with FSF Canada chapter?
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:15:30 -0500

To whomever received messages sent to address@hidden

There has been recent activity on the list that might be able to grow into a chapter, but suspect it would be helpful to get someone from the FSF involved early to help. We'll want to know simple things such as what would be required to be considered a 'chapter', what the minimal and desirable activities would be, etc.

We all seem to agree that having an FSF in Canada would be desirable, but don't really know how to get there from here.

There may also be better legal resources now than in the past to help set up a formal structure that could obtain charitable status in order to more easily get funding to host or participate in events.

Example: A Canadian FSF would be appropriate to participate in http://copycamp.ca/ . FSF should also be more actively involved in the Canadian copyright and patent revision process.

BTW: Preference if possible is to reply directly into the fsfc-discuss mailing list, rather than only to me personally.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"