fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] dynamically growing activists list

From: David Henry
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] dynamically growing activists list
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:13:11 -0600

Mirko Lindner wrote:
> So how about everybody stating his/her name, current location maybe
> profession and in what way /he/she could support a Free Software
> Movement in Canada

I find this hard, as there is much to summarize.  But (tongue firmly in
cheek)....

I am an ageing activist, brought up to be an artist, who decided at a
young age to complement my likely poverty as an artist by studying
theatre and minoring in philosophy.  I worked with just about every
hazardous material imaginable, for pay, for about a decade.

I gave up the lot of it for a careen in organizing, starting with
post-secondary lobbying, and eventually with a community-based
environmental group that rebuilt and gave away bicycles (over 3,000 of
them), amongst other projects.  Before too long, I was a founding member
of a worker-owned co-op dedicated to home renovations (a common field
for artists).

The past 12 years have been spent doing DTP (pre-press) for non-profits,
membership organizations, and community-based groups of all sorts.  In
recent years, I have been a member of the Prairie Linux User Group and a
founding member of a worker-owned co-op dedicated to free software
(development and support, etc.).

While I believe building alternatives is more effective a strategy than
trying to change existing structures, I know it is critical to defend
rights before they are all taken away.  For an organization like FSFC, I
expect to take on some of the drudge work, am pretty good at
understanding legislation, and like to think I write very clearly and
forcefully when necessary.

My hobbies are drinking coffee and farting to the tune of 'Oh Canada'.

All the very best of good things,
David Henry

PS:  Stumbled across this:
http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/New_York_City:_All_Five_Boroughs