fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] FSF Canada - Call for action.
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:29:01 -0500

David Henry wrote:
I'm sure no-one here thinks otherwise, and expect I am actually
over-clarifying the obvious to most of you. <pointing at elephant>

Pointing at an elephant isn't a bad idea, as we may not all be on the same page.

What I'm hoping, and what I'd like to transfer the domain names eventually to, is a Canadian equivalent of what I see with FSF Europe http://www.fsfeurope.org/ and http://fsf.org.in/

These aren't a GNU project, which is a project that creates software, but as you can see from the headlines in those sites does more policy work to protect the rights and interests of those who are authoring software. (Some of it lobbying, some of it participating in standards bodies, some of it hosting education/conferences/etc).

If lobbying/etc can't be done with charitable status, then I believe the right response is to simply move forward without charitable status -- not limit the organization to only those activities that can be done under charitable status. I know of many organizations that have their budget divided into activities based on funding and charitable status issues, so this shouldn't be seen as a problem (IE: Hopefully there will be funding applications as well. This is Canada where the funding of NGOs is done differently than the foundation model in the USA).

I think authoring software is interesting, but don't think we need a foundation for that. And if we do, I don't think FSF is the right acronym for that type of organization. I wouldn't be all that interested personally in such an organization as I don't think we have any shortage of resources for authoring FLOSS, but do have a major shortage of resources for people protecting our rights to author and choose FLOSS. I often feel very lonely here in Ottawa trying to talk to politicians and bureaucrats with only a handful of colleagues.

EFF isn't a FLOSS association/group, so a Canadian form of EFF (Like Online rights Canada http://onlinerights.ca/ and associated groups/projects) wouldn't and couldn't do the job we need.

We have CLUE (I'm the policy coordinator there http://www.cluecan.ca/policy ), but it is also not an FSF in Canada. While the organizations will of course work closely, and possibly have some people overlap, they wouldn't have the same message.

An FSF Canada that has similar campaigns as FSF USA needs to exist, for the same reason that an FSF exists (and needs to exist) in the USA even though there is also an EFF, Linux Foundation, Public Patent Foundation, Software Freedom Law Center, and so-on.

Bouncing our ideas off the FSF people, before we actually start
anything, should be enough for now.  This should not be particularly
hard to do.

I've written, but no replies yet. Preference is if someone from FSF just joins the list and helps get us started.

Legally speaking, there is no particular restraint on what we do with
the domain.

Legally speaking, there is no particular restraint on what I (as current owner) can do with the two domains. But practically speaking, I'm only interested in personally hosting or transferring those domains to an organization that is doing in Canada like what FSF Europe and FSF India are doing in their respective regions/countries.

People can create whatever organizations they want, and while there are limitations on some trademarked phrases, those organizations can carry out any of the activities mentioned thus far in the mailing list. There are many organization names where the acronyms aren't already taken as domain names.

  The fsf.ca and fsfc.ca domains are, however, spoken for ;-)

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"