fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Hello

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Hello
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 19:08:04 -0500

On Jan 28, 2012 6:17 PM, "Stephen Paul Weber" <address@hidden> wrote:
> One thing I don't see discussed anywhere, but that I'm curious to other's
> opition's on, is the connection to GNU.  The FSF has, IMO, been a little to
> "married" to GNU in the past.  This is understandable, since RMS started
> them both, but has lead to some amount of weakening of the FSF's ability to
> represent/advocate *all* Free Software.

   FSF USA and the GNU project have close ties, but my understanding is that FSF's in other countries are not structured similarily.

  I'm also not sure what you are meaning as far as ability to represent all Free Software.   There have been interesting language issues in relation to the GNU project (the GNU/Linux vs Linux stuff for instance), but other than that I've not personally seen any issues.   I am quite curious to hear about what you've observed.

  Are you by chance thinking  GPL compared to other licenses, or copyleft vs non-copyleft?  This will always be one of the more complex issues in our community. While we all come together to support the same software we often have very different motivations that are driving us.   I wrote about the different types of freedom that are part of the Free Software movement in a recent blog article on http://cluecan.ca