fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] *Not* iplayer - much worse - BBC+ITV+Channel 4

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] *Not* iplayer - much worse - BBC+ITV+Channel 4
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:58:54 +0000

> What do you suggest we do? :)

You are FSF campaigns manager; I'd have hoped for a less hopeless
answer from you.

Ok, I understand the issue with BBC wordwide, however let me put it
this way: The spec for PAL is widely availabe to anyone bored enough
to want to build their own TV or alternatively build one for
manufacture.
This is laid down by Ofcom.

If THREE terrestrial UK stations start broadcasting on the internet
and collaborating, on a MS DRM platform, then we are looking at a very
bleak future from my view.

If people get tied into watching TV from their computer and have to
use the latest (or even previous) version of MS windows to do so, it
will be much trickier to attract  people to Free Software.

I know popularity isn't an aim of the FSF, as has been stated many
times, however I believe we have an obligation to protect the users
freedom. We certainly shouldn't shrug it off as a fruitless goal.
Fsuk-Manchester is one of the largest groups of Free Software
supporters in the country, what does the message of sitting on our
arses and not doing anything send out?

It's clear to me that we have to oppose this at every level UNLESS it
uses Free Software/Open standards, however perhaps you have a better
idea?

Perhaps it isn't that bad;
I'm probably just over-reacting
I'm sure they will use Dirac and Theora really...

BBC Worldwide, ITV and Channel 4 *know* the consumers hate DRM... don't they?

--
www.dobo.urandom.co.uk
----