fsuk-manchester

Re: Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Mcr MS IT schools provision

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Mcr MS IT schools provision
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:36:40 +0000

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 00:45 +0000, Nigel Rolland wrote:
> FAO Richard Smedley

& now FAO Iain Roberts, too.

> For example, Manchester has just invited Microsoft to create
> its educational vision for ICT - part of the BSF process - without, as far
> as I am aware, any consideration of alternatives.  I am considering
> writing to the City Solicitor pointing out that, in the light of the
> adjournment debate, this could be construed as illegal favouring of one
> potential tenderer for future business.
>
> From what you have said I also think that this may have breached European and
> UK law which requires all public contracts of a certain value to be tendered.

Hello Nigel,

I don't know the full facts, as I was forwarding someone else's
e-mail, but at face value the awarding of work to a company who
seemed to be acting as a consultant in the process is rather
dodgy. Others on this list may know more about the contract.

> I have taken this matter up with manchester Green Party Councillor Vanessa
> Hall.

Please keep us informed about your progress.

> Can you provide me with a bit more information about this contract and any
> examples of  alternatives to Microsoft in the field of education ict, so that
> I can draft a letter from Vanessa to the City Solicitor

This is one I haven't had a chance to follow up - but Iain
may know more. Iain, iirc this was originally from Leslie
Fletcher's post, do you know any more about it?

 - Richard

--
Richard Smedley,                                          address@hidden
Technical Director,                                      www.M6-IT.org

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2 [TM] Project Management
Training * Certification * Support * Networking * Web * Database * CRM

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,                Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:       4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/ Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - address@hidden

Southern Office: Bristol                     contact address@hidden