fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] Who would you like to speak? WAS: Re: Future Meetings

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Who would you like to speak? WAS: Re: Future Meetings
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:16:47 +0000

It has become obvious that we need some active discussion on who people would like to speak at FSUK-Manchester so kindly:

Simon Ward wrote:
How hard can editing a wiki be? ;)

http://groups.fsf.org/index.php/Manchester/Speakers

Simon has set up a wiki page for us!

he has put down, though his own ideas and from hearing other people mention them a few ideas:

 Suggested Speakers

    * Someone from the BBC on iPlayer
    * Someone from the BBC on their contributions to free software (Dirac).
    * Bristol Wireless
    * Richard Stallman
    * Jono Bacon, Canonical

And I've added a few people/ideas to the discussion page.
to summarise i think it would be interested to hear from

the FSF's Software Freedom Task Force (SFLC)
the FSFE's Freedom Task Force (FTF).

Harald Welte - although obviously a very experienced in *many* fields - having just won an FSF annual Free Software Award, I would be most interested in hearing about his work relating to GPL violations.

On a much more local scale, I would be interested in hearing from M6-IT CIC. Whose name I have heard a lot, yet whom I know very little about.

I would be interested in hearing about Parrs Wood Technology college's use of Free Software including their use of it on clients and it in their pupil behaviour tracking system IRIS ( www.iris.ac ).

Again in education I would be intersted to hear more about moodle, both from the development side and from how and why it is deployed by schools and educational establisments

Comments anyone?

Or have you got any ideas yourself?

--
www.blog.tdobson.net