fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] I'd encourage more people to stand as chairperson

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] I'd encourage more people to stand as chairperson
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:09:02 +0100

Lucy wrote:
On 23/04/2008, Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
I think Simon would be great for the job, and in my mind the only
 candidate currently standing. In order for this to be more of an
 interesting situation, I'd like to see more people stand.

I'd actually consider this a very unhelpful statement to make and is
quite insulting towards Tim.

As chairman, one will have to take rough with the smooth, learning to not take statements like this on a personal level and disadvantage the group.

Matt seems to be giving me some experience of what it may be like to be chairperson.

I know in this case, Matt did not mean to cause offence, however I would encourage people to phrase things in future so that they do not give the impression of being on a personal level.

I would suggest that we concentrate on making the elections

free, fair and *friendly*.
wow. nicely phrase :)

However, at the next meeting I would like to propose the creation of
two new positions: a spokesperson and a secretary (responsible for
minute-taking etc).

I think I would essentially be for this idea...

I'm happy to hear feedback on this idea, but I
would urge everyone not to talk about potential nominations until
after the elections for chairperson have closed.

...though I'd *prefer* not to talk the specifics of the roles, (nominations aside) before the chairperson is elected.

Tim

--

Moving Things Forward

--