fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MS Windows on the OLPC

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MS Windows on the OLPC
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 19:32:23 +0100

On 16/05/2008, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
> It seems clear to me that Negroponte has decided there was a
>  choice between around 500,000 kids with internet and free
>  software, and millions of kids with internet and Windows. I'm not
>  sure which would be the biggest set back, but given we all grew up
>  with proprietary software and Internet access, I think it will be not
>  be a disaster to ship Windows on OLPC computers.

I can't help remembering that the best part of growing up with
computers was being able to play around, to write programs and to
learn. When I first started using Windows I almost walked away from
computing altogether because I hated the restrictions MS imposed on me
and I'm saddened that I didn't become aware of free software earlier.
Of course, the computer I remember so fondly was the C64 with a basic
interpreter written by MS! Maybe as long as the kids still have the
opportunity to experiment and discover new things then it won't be so
bad, it's still a step backwards imo though.

>  It is wrong for anyone to distribute proprietary software, yet
>  I do think the wider social movement (towards a free society) is
>  helped by tainted distros and by spreading internet access.

I think we've found something to agree upon! Moving towards freedom is
the important part, even if it's a small step.