fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] Social Meet at the start of the month?

From: Dave Page
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Social Meet at the start of the month?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:36:08 +0100

From the minutes of our last meeting:

> It was suggested that having these meetings before the regular talks
> made it difficult for many people to get into town in time for the
> meeting, and that an alternative solution might be to hold separate
> meetings, combined with a social event, to allow more people to get
> involved.

While most discussions concerning the future of Manchester Free Software
take place on the mailing list, a lot of stuff to do with organising
speakers and events and venues etc. take place at the monthly
meetings - the agenda is proposed on the wiki, then finalised and
discussed at the meetings, and the minutes fed back to the mailing
list.

Meeting before our monthly speakers leaves little time to get through
our busy agendas (though these meetings aren't really the right place
for debate - that's what the mailing list is for) and rather limits
attendance to people who can be in the city centre at that time.

I propose that we should organise some kind of social event seperate
from the speakers, and have the meetings before those - that way
there's less pressure to run off to the main event, and more people can
attend.

When
====

The first week of the month has the #manlug [1] currybeer [2] so I
suspect that the second week might be better. Meeting on a not-Tuesday
might be preferable, since some people already can't make our Tuesday
events.

Where
=====

As for venue - we seem to be happy with the FAB Cafe for social events.
It's cheap, central and geek-friendly. Again, suggestions welcome.

How
===

How we segue from the organisational-meeting into the social-meeting
could be interesting. I know Simon was suggesting having seperate
venues, but I think this would be too complicated. I suggest that we
pick a time to start the organisational meeting (7pm), and a format it
should take (working through the agenda, under the watchful eye of our
Chair).

We should grab one of the well-lit corner tables (all the better for
minute-taking), and anybody who just wants to come along for the social
can stay at the bar or on another table. Once the meeting is done, the
agendas and minutes go away and we all join in the social.

Again, suggestions and thoughts welcome.

Dave

[1] http://www.manlug.org.uk/
[2] http://www.currybeer.co.uk/
--