fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Raising Our Profile

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Raising Our Profile
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:50:04 +0100

On 10/08/2008, Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I have, on numourous occasions, promoted MFS to nontechnical audiences but
> have felt that the percieved "geeky" image has put off those who have not
> attended meetings previously.
[snip]
>  If a representative of the group is willing to talk to reporters and
> explain what free software *is*, I'd be happy to try and promote to MeN &
> the Metro.

I think that for the mainstream press, like the MEN, to do a story
about Manchester Free Software they'd need a campaign or a cause that
would interest their readers. I think that Software Freedom Day 2008
is the perfect opportunity for this, but much nearer the day when
we've got a definite venue and promo materials sorted.

I think the problems with promoting it to non-geeks is that it can be
a lot of information to take in that they don't really care about. The
SFD event is a great opportunity to show people why they should care,
but also Dave's idea about targeting certain groups is good.
Unfortunately, I'm not involved currently in any relevant groups.
Anyone else do volunteer work or have some involvement in groups who
could benefit from FS?