fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [GeekUp] Obama & Open Source

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] [GeekUp] Obama & Open Source
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:32:59 +0000

2009/1/21 Simon Ward <address@hidden>:
> The linked BBC article in the forwarded mail states that Sun's Scott
> McNealy has been asked to prepare a paper on "open source" for the Obama
> administration.  It mentions cost and security as drivers.

I was quite excited when I saw the article, it's a great step forward.
I notice that the copyright notice on the Whitehouse website has been
changed to CC-SA as well. I really hope that the UK government takes
notice of the US on this (since they seem to on everything else!).

On a less positive note, the article mentions nothing about the
ethical issues of using 'open source' software, which I think are
particularly relevant for governments.