fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] Free software use increasing in UK schools

From: Lucy
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Free software use increasing in UK schools
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:03:46 +0000

A very interesting article on the BBC at the moment:

It seems to be well-balanced and mentions vendor lock-in, Moodle and
opensourceschools.org.uk.

It even has a quote from BECTA encouraging the use of free software:
"We want teachers to realise that they can be and should be
considering OSS as a viable alternative," said Mr Hughes.

One thing that I noticed was the usual mention that FOSS doesn't come
with professional support - implying that proprietary software does,
when in reality support costs extra for both (and ignores the
excellent community support for many FOSS projects).