fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] [Fwd: [GeekUp] Favourite case study/argument for BigCo

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] [Fwd: [GeekUp] Favourite case study/argument for BigCo to move away from IE6?]
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:23:03 +0000

Any ideas anyone

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:24:44 +0000
From: Guy Dickinson <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Hive mind -

I'm trying to convince a (large corp) client's IT desktop manager that
he should replace IE6 as the default browser with IE7 or (really
pushing my luck) FireFox.

Google fu is poor (as is my attention span)... relative dearth of
useful info [1]

I'm anticipating the usual objections - "if it ain't broke", etc...

As their intranet and existing sites 'work', just simply pointing out
that IE6 is shitty, 8yrs old and non standards compliant won't cut it.

I also have to overcome the 'training' and hassle costs of replacing a
major component of their desktop build.

I will argue that they're going to have to bear increasing costs for
making new stuff work with a defunct browser, but that can't be a
primary reason for switching.

I'm thinking of approaching it from a security angle, and lower TCO
with IE7/FF - arguments a CIO would warm to...

Anyone successfully made these arguments into a conservative
organisation? Or know of any decent case studies that support the good
fight?

cheers,

Guy.

[1] Notes: