fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] [OT] Ecuador government (was: Re: Digital freedom)

From: Bob Ham
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] [OT] Ecuador government (was: Re: Digital freedom)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:21:57 +0000

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 11:20 +0000, Bob Ham wrote:
On Sun, 2013-12-01 at 18:27 -0500, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:

> Would you guys
> be available to speak in a videoconference with Ecuadorian government
> officials?

Regarding government officials, speaking only for myself, I'm afraid
that the concept of the nation state is one that I am strongly opposed to. I would not willingly engage with national government officials as
doing so would constitute implicit validation of that government.

This is way off-topic I realise, but it's so timely:

"On the morning of Wednesday, December 4th plain-clothes officers in
Quito, Ecuador summarily closed the office of Fundación Pachamama, our
sister nonprofit that for over 16 years has worked in defense of the
human rights of Amazonian indigenous peoples and the rights of nature.

The government repression is a direct response to indigenous protests
last week against Ecuador's plans to open some 2.6 million hectares of
rainforest to new oil drilling. The dissolution is a retaliatory act
that seeks to repress Fundación Pachamama’s legitimate right to disagree
with the government’s policies, such as the decision to turn over
Amazonian indigenous people’s land to oil companies, in direct violation
of their constitutional rights."

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Ecuadorian_President_Rafael_Correa_Stop_Crackdown_on_Civil_Society

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>