fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 21 June. Talk: "TTIP

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 21 June. Talk: "TTIP and software freedom"
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 19:17:18 +0100

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 06:16:22PM +0100, Michael Dorrington wrote:
On 06/07/16 09:12, Bob Mottram wrote:
On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 08:21:57AM +0100, Michael Dorrington wrote:

Free Hardware talk:
* Libre Tea Computer Card:
** https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

Beagleboards talk:
* http://beagleboard.org/

Free hardware is topical. There has been a lot of chatter about the
eoma68.

We could have a talk / discussion on that especially as we didn't do
Hardware Freedom Day this year.  Are people willing to help out with
this, for instance, demo'ing a Beagleboard?

I can bring in some beaglebones. Maybe I could demo making a mesh with them.

Also of interest is that Beagleboard have just released a new model,
Green Wireless:
http://beagleboard.org/green-wireless

I don't have any of the green versions yet, and I don't know what
wireless chipset it uses, so it might not support a free driver. Even
without that it's easy enough to use a USB wifi dongle.

On a related note, Purism has a "Petition for Intel to Release an
ME-less CPU design":
https://puri.sm/posts/petition-for-intel-to-release-an-me-less-cpu-design/

I also signed that, although in general I'm not optimistic about
petitions. Intel will be mainly concerned about how many chips get sold,
and the number sold by Purism will be tiny compared to the rest of the
market so they'll have almost no economic leverage.