fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Good news and bad news on CETA

From: John Rooke
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Good news and bad news on CETA
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 09:43:12 +0000

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Good news and bad news on CETA
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 12:13:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Guy Taylor, Global Justice Now <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Dear John,

I’m writing to thank you for taking our recent action and writing to your MEPs to vote to refer CETA to the European Court of Justice.

The vote took place today and unfortunately we lost the vote 258 voting for the referral and 415 voting to block it.

But it’s not all bad news. It is likely that there will now be a delay in the timing of the ratification vote on CETA. It’s currently set for 14 December, and we’re hoping that it will be delayed until mid-February. This will allow other committees to provide opinions and hopefully sway some opinions before that vote takes place.

Looking at the numbers in today’s votes, they are actually slightly better than our estimate was – and we now need to persuade less than a 100 extra MEPs to defeat CETA. The mountain we need to climb is a bit smaller than the mountain we faced this morning!

We need to keep the pressure on the MEPs. Please keep pushing and please try to get as many other people involved. This is a fight we can win!

Get more involved: order our CETA campaign materials

We will be organising more actions and stepping up this fight against CETA – whenever the vote is set for.

Thank you for your support.

Guy Taylor,
Campaigner at Global Justice Now

supporter