fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Celebrating MFS's 12th Birthday

From: Rashid Mhar
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Celebrating MFS's 12th Birthday
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 20:26:38 +0100

Happy Bday Manchester Free Software! I'll raise a glass to celebrate. And dig up a few RMS quotes about Freedom.

Free software is software that respects your freedom and the social solidarity of your community. So it's free as in freedom. Richard Stallman

When I launched the development of the GNU system, I explicitly said the purpose of developing this system is so we can use our computers and have freedom, thus if you use some other free system instead but you have freedom, then it's a success. It's not popularity for our code but it's success for our goal. Richard Stallman

In the free/libre software movement, we develop software that respects users' freedom, so we and you can escape from software that doesn't. Richard Stallman

Many users of the GNU/Linux system will not have heard the ideas of free software. They will not be aware that we have ideas, that a system exists because of ethical ideals, which were omitted from ideas associated with the term 'open source.' Richard Stallman

The idea of free software is that users of computing deserve freedom. They deserve in particular to have control over their computing. And proprietary software does not allow users to have control of their computing. Richard Stallman

However according to the op ain't the bday tomorrow? An OBOE (off by one error) kinda fitting I guess!

Best to y'all
Rashid