g-wrap-dev

Roadmap for TNG

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Roadmap for TNG
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 17:28:58 +0100

Hi!

My work on G-Wrap TNG is progressing nicely. I've now completely
established a "border" between language-independent and
language-specific parts. Wrapsets can be cleanly separated, too; for
instance, g-wrap/ws/standard.scm contains generic information, while
the g-wrap/guile/ws/standard.scm has the Guile-specific part. This
design ensures maximum code reuse if languages are to be added (Pika
is the one I have in mind, once it's major enough).

I'm now starting to "port" Guile-GObject to the new G-Wrap API. I know
there are still some issues in G-Wrap to be sorted out in this
process, but I think I should be able to get Guile-GObject working
with TNG in a few weeks time. That is my "first big milestone" for
TNG, and I would like to start an "unstable release series" then. Now,
the thing is, what version number should I use? I'd like to be TNG the
next version of G-Wrap, so 1.5 would be an appropriate
choice. However, that takes away the possibility of having 1.5 be
"polished up" (libffi stuff & co), but mostly compatible to 1.3. I
think that getting TNG ready might happen faster than Rob finishing
integrating my current libffi & co hacks into the master archive (do
you actually work on that, Rob?), so this is not much of an issue,
IMHO. Thoughts?

Cheers, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

If atheism is a religion, then health is a disease. -- Clark Adams