g-wrap-dev

Re: Error-Handling; adding dependency on guile-lib

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Error-Handling; adding dependency on guile-lib
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:37:51 -0500

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> g-wrap could really use better error handling, and I'd like to
> implement that using said SRFI-35 (conditions). Since getting code
> into Guile is not as easy as one would like to, it probably will
> take some time before my SRFI-35 implementation is shipped with
> Guile (if ever).
>
> G-Wrap 2.0 will thus depend on the Guile Library[0]; I've already
> filed an Debian ITP for Guile-Lib and have a package ready for upload.
>
> [0] http://yi.org/rotty/GuileLib

A couple of questions:

  - What kind of trouble are you having getting stuff into Guile, or
    is it just that it takes a while for things getting in to Guile to
    make it into a release?  (Regardless of what we decide for g-wrap,
    I'd like to have srfi-35 in Guile, and I'd also prefer that Guile
    minimize any unnecessary hassles for contributors.)

  - If the code required isn't that great, would there be any benefit
    (and would it make any sense) to instead include a copy of the
    code in g-wrap and conditionally integrate it based on a configure
    test?

On the one hand, it's nice not to have any more deps than we need to,
but I'd guess that Guile lib is fine as long as it's easy to get hold
of and easy for people to install under various relevant Guile
versions.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning