g-wrap-dev

Preffered solution on deprecaded functions?

From: Sören Jonsson
Subject: Preffered solution on deprecaded functions?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 11:30:54 +0100

Hello,

I'm attempting to compile g-wrap for guile 2.2.4 The reason: I'm making an attempt to get guile-gnome to work under cygwin.

Alas, I'm getting a series of error messages, listed in the file "Errmsg.txt", provided with this mail. (I went to the subdirectory guile/g-wrap and  made an attempt to make guile-runtime.lo in order to keep the error message short and focus on the important parts.)

After some browsing of the Internet, I found this page: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50471783/compiling-g-wrap

According to this information, g-wrap 1.9.15 is not compatible with guile 2.2.4, and need  guile 2-0 for compilation. As you can see in the error messages, the complaint is that g-wrap make calls to deprecated function.

What would be the preferred way to resolve this? Are the functions deprecated because there are better alternatives, or should I look at re-implementing them as part of g-wrap? Is there any solution I have not thought about?

I can see many ways to resolve this, but I'm spoiled for chooses and would like some input on what the best long term solution would be.

Best regards,

--
Sören Jonsson
Kärnvägen 237