gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl on Windows?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl on Windows?
Date: 14 Dec 2001 12:54:47 -0500

Greetings!

David Holmgren <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm,
>
>  I've seen your latest messages on GCL, and I must first say that I think
> that what you're doing is a great idea.  I was wondering though if you were
> able to get GCL to compile in a Windows environment (Cygwin, for example)?
> I tried to compile a recent version of GCL awhile ago under Cygwin, but with
> no success.

1) I have personally no access to Windows machines, so will not be
   able to test the compile there myself.

2) Dan Stanger has also asked me about windows, and I suggested to him
   the following:
        a) As the problem he reported seemed to be in a machine
   mis-selection, I suggested he try configuring with
   --enable-machine=386-linux under cygwin, as this should basically
   be a GNU/Linux type environment.
        b) If this fails, then repeat trying to build statically by
   editing h/386-linux.h or .defs and making the line with -static the
   default (comment out the other one)
        c) If this succeeds, then try a dynamic build with the patch
   to 386-linux.h I posted earlier.

3) We need Windows testers who would be willing to file accurate bug
   reports, success stories, patches, etc.  Would you consider
   registering at savannah, letting me know your user id, and
   volunteering in this capacity as a gcl developer?  Any bug
   reports/test build results, etc. you have could be echoed there for
   central reference.

4) The latest cvs will not build as is.  For now try the latest stable
   2.4.0.  I have a pending commit which I hope to upload soon to get
   cvs to build again.

Take care,