gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: nt gcl port

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: nt gcl port
Date: 14 Dec 2001 13:03:00 -0500

Greetings!

address@hidden writes:

> I meant to say brk/sbrk.  When I looked at the code, it seems that
> a value for nt is a hard coded constant, rather then being determined
> at run time.  When I get home, I will tar up the build, do you have a
> ftp site I could put it on?
> Dan

Yep, these addresses are determined at configuration time to my
understanding.  This originally made it difficulty to link to libraries
dynamically. I originally had a Debian maxima on gcl which was
exported to several identical machines across nfs, and which would
segfault on startup only on some.  I purely depended on the OS
deciding to load the library memory maps in different locations.
Dr. Schelter gave me the patch I sent you to fix this.  The standard
out file structure was preinitialized on the stack in some weird way,
causing gcl to segfault on startup as it tried to write its prompt.
The patch I sent you will fix this problem for sure, but I don't know
if this is your problem :-)!

Unfortunately, I have no access to anon ftp space.  In any case, I
can't use Windows binaries in any useful fashion.  I could use the
build output, together with whatever error diagnostics you may have.
Please try to duplicate under gdb too, if you know how to use this.
If you get a build which doesn't work, you should be able to compile
with -g, run under gdb, and get an exact location of the problem, even
by assembler address if necessary.  This info you should be able to
mail to the list.  If you want me to set you up on the savannah site
as a Windows tester, I can arrange for space there as well where you
can send reports.

Take care,