gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] strange tests with gcl 2.4.0

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] strange tests with gcl 2.4.0
Date: 16 Dec 2001 18:06:35 -0500

Greetings!

"Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've promised to send more precise information about some
> bad test result with gcl 2.4. Today I've managed to reproduce
> them.
> So I have gcl 2.4.0 (official 2.4.0 tarball not later cvs
> versions)
> and Maxima 5.6. Gcl is compiled on Linux with maxpages=64*1024.
> Test is performed with the following init.lsp
>
> (progn
> (si::allocate 'cons 20000 t)
> (si::allocate 'fixnum 4000 t)
> (si::allocate-relocatable-pages 10000 t)
> (si::allocate 'cfun 5000 t)
> (si::set-gmp-allocate-relocatable t)
> (setq  si::*notify-gbc*  t))
>
> which pre allocates lots of RAM.
> I evaluate
>     factor(expand((x+y)^n)+1)$
> sequentially for n=30, 60, 100.
> For n=30 and 60 I've got some reasonable
> timings: 0.1 and 1.7 seconds respectively.
> But for 100 gcl goes into infinite loop with
> lots of cfun garbage collections.
> I've killed Maxima after 10 minutes.
> Notice that nothing like this is happening
> to gcl 2.3.8. I get nice time for all
> n=30, 60, 100, 105. Similar strange things
> are happening with standard Maxima test
> (tests.lisp). Some tests fails, some becomes
> very slow. How many and which one precisely
> depends on the amount of preallocated RAM.
> Once again nothing like this is observed with
> gcl 2.3.8.
>
> An now comes the good news. Finally I repeated all
> tests with latest gcl from Savannah. Now it works
> fine! It seems that all problems are fixed. Actually maybe
> not _all_ since I've noticed some strange things
> in situation when I allocate some RAM and later allocate
> some more RAM. But it have to do some more
> thorough tests.

This is good to hear, and I have confirmed this too.  I ran across
something in the logs or the diff between 2.4.0 and current CVS that
Dr. Schelter wrote that made me suspect he had fixed this, and now we
know its true.  I'll try to dig up the reference anyway, as it is
probably worth studying to learn about these garbage collection
issues.

Vadim, was this on your 2.2.4 system?  Does this mean the build
problems you were having are fixed too?

Take care,