gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] More Code Cleanup...

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] More Code Cleanup...
Date: 19 Dec 2001 22:11:43 -0500

Greetings!

Robert Alan Byer <address@hidden> writes:

> In the following files...
>
> gcl/gmp/assert.c
> gcl/gmp/randlc.c
> gcl/gmp/randraw.c
> gcl/gmp/mpn/generic/gcdext.c
> gcl/gmp/mpn/generic/tdiv_qr.c
> gcl/gmp/mpz/bin_uiui.c
> gcl/gmp/mpz/fac_ui.c
> gcl/gmp/mpz/pprime_p.c
> gcl/gmp/mpz/root.c
> gcl/gmp/mpz.set_d.c
>
> #include <stdlib.h> needs to be included to prevent the abort() function
> from being implicitly declared.

OK, First I'm going to try to eliminate these files :-)!  If I have to
keep them, will ammend as you so kindly note.

> Also, while compiling gcl/gmp/random.c under OpenVMS I got the following
> warning.
>
>         return mrand48 () | (mrand48 () << 32);
>       .......................^
>       %CC-W-SHIFTCOUNT, In this statement, the shift count "32" is negative
> or is
>       greater than or equal to the promoted size of the operand
> "mrand48(...)".
>       at line number 38 in file DISK$WORK:[TEST.GCL.GMP]URANDOM.H;1
>
> and also got the same above error when compiling gcl/gmp/mpz/random.c

This looks a little alarming.  It would appear that there is some
fixed size misconfiguration going on.  My 32 bit machine does not
select this version of random.c, so I don't have this code in my
build.  Perhaps you can see what type mrand48 is declared, and why the
code thinks it can shift it be 32 bits.  (It would seem that a 48bit
object would be a likely candidate.  But apparently the compiler does
not agree.)

> I have more code cleanup comming.
>
> Currently, both Tru64 Alpha and OpenVMS Alpha build the libgmp library and
> pass all the known GMP tests that are known to pass so I guess I'm on the
> right track.

Great!

take care,