gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] More Code Cleanup...

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] More Code Cleanup...
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:40:36 +0000 (GMT)

Camm Maguire writes:
 > >      return mrand48 () | (mrand48 () << 32);
 > >    .......................^
 >
 > This looks a little alarming.  It would appear that there is some
 > fixed size misconfiguration going on.  My 32 bit machine does not
 > select this version of random.c, so I don't have this code in my
 > build.  Perhaps you can see what type mrand48 is declared, and why the
 > code thinks it can shift it be 32 bits.  (It would seem that a 48bit
 > object would be a likely candidate.  But apparently the compiler does
 > not agree.)

In an old version of the GNU C Library there was a bug that caused
mrand48() to return only the lower bits of the result.  It got into a
Red Hat release at one point and therefore became quite widespread.
This looks like it might be some sort of workaround for that.

regards

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd            Phone: +44 (0)117 3179309
15 Royal Park                   WWW: http://www.network-theory.co.uk/
Clifton                       Email: address@hidden
Bristol BS8 3AL