gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: GCL code cleanup...

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL code cleanup...
Date: 13 Jan 2002 12:37:33 -0500

Greetings!

Robert Alan Byer <address@hidden> writes:

> >Please excuse my delay here.  It is committed into cvs (both branches)
> >now.  Thanks for your submission!
> >

> No problem, I've been busy with software testing at work myself.
> (It's pretty bad when the company send out one of the "experts" for the
> testing and he knows NOTHING about Unix which the software runs on.  I knew
> I was in trouble when he tells me to use the "vi thinggy" to check some
> files.)
>
> I've managed to break the OpenVMS support I had working for GCL rather badly
> and have to recover from tape :P
>

> >Agreed!  Please report any specific non-ansi items you discover, and
> >we'll see if fixing it doesn't break anything else.  Of course, right
> >now, the code is quite far model C in form.  There are very few
> >prototypes, assigments without casts everywhere, etc.  But as far as I
> >can tell, all this is just as bad on gcc as any other compiler.
> >

> Some suggestions...
>
> We should develop a document outlying coding standards for GCL.  I know
> that the FreeCIV project (which I maintain the OpenVMS port for) has
> started doing this to help standardize the code.
>
> Two, I think that everyone should start using
>
>       -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
>
> to help find all the prototypes and declarations that are missing so we can
> start getting them taken care of.  I also think that local functions should
> be declared static and prototyped.

Agreed!  Am cc'ing this to the list, so any interested parties can
help with this process.  This is probably 2.5.0 stuff.

> I think we need to document the configure and make procedure I think as right
> now it's a kludge and hard to follow what's being generated where and how.
> It would also be good to document all the various special "#defines" for
> like debugging etc.

Agreed, again.  Many of the defines do absolutely nothing, and are
cruft which should be removed.  I'll try to write a little script in
2.5.0 to collect all the defines and index them to the places in the
code where they are used.  Might be a while.

> The reason I "broke" the OpenVMS stuff is that I was working on "starting"
> to see if I could make shared libraries.  The problem I ran into is that
> under OpenVMS I have to list all the functions per module at link time and
> right now since nothing is prototyped it's a pain to search through all the
> files to find everything.  So I'm going back to plain old libraries.

To my understanding, aix has/had this issue too.  There is an 'aix
exports' file in there somewhere you might want to look at.

But really, if you want to ever take another crack at this, the way to
do it is to write a little script using the output of nm/objdump to
simply make an index of function symbols.  Would not appear to be too
hard.

Take care,