gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] maxima, gcl on ms windows

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] maxima, gcl on ms windows
Date: 15 Feb 2002 11:09:46 -0500

Greetings!

Dan Stanger <address@hidden> writes:

> I have copied 2 files, gcl-cvs-2-2-2002.tar.gz and
>  maxima-migrate-2-5-2002.tar.gz to my web site and they
> should be accessible as www.diac.com/~dxs/<filename>.

OK, I have these.  I understand these to be the solaris lisp compiled
files which you then c compiled on cygwin.

> I redid the build under linux, after resetting the value stack size

Or maybe these files were produced under Linux?

> to 32768, which allowed error free compilation of maxima with
> the required compilation options.  There still remains more work

Where is the failure without resetting the stack size?

In general, if you could give me build logs as well, that would help
greatly.

> to do:
>
> 1) Fix the gcl compiler to generate warning free code for ellipt
> and bessel.

OK, my guess is that with maxima-pre59, these files need the stack
size increase.  Or is there some other warning?  Does the
destructuring-bind not work?

I've been doing all my regression tests with maxima-5.6, as this is
the last stable release.  Should I be using pre-59?  I don't really
have time to investigate errors which could be resulting from maxima
code as opposed to gcl.  But if its near stable, then maybe that is
best.

> 2) Update the gcl value stack size.

Specifically, why?  Where is the failure?

> 3) Remove functionality in unexnt which is duplicated by cygwin.

Such as?

> 4) Fix my filename hack in unexnt t o find saved_gcl.

Patch?

> 5) Replace the hardcoded DBEGIN with a value from sbrk.

Don't know why you need this, but it might be a good idea anyway.
There may be an issue, though, with raw_gcl having a different value
from saved_gcl.  Have you looked at this?  Can I see where you put in
your patch as an example?

> 6) Fix solve.

What's wrong with solve?  Is this pre-59 only?  5.6 passes all tests
for me when built under Linux, which is what I think you are doing.

> I suspect that after changing the value stack size on solaris,
> I will be able to repeat building there as the tests seem to
> have succeeded, as well as they did on linux.

I'd love to hear confirmation of this.  If you get the 5.6 tests to
pass successfully using solaris only for all builds, please let me
know.

In any case, I *really want* to see the configure output for solaris,
as I think it can help me fix Linux sparc.

> Also, I had been able to build gcl with Doug Lea's malloc, however
> I was unable to dump, and had to load the objects at startup.

Don't know why you want to do this.  What advantage are you looking
for?

Sorry for all the questions, but would like to isolate the progress,
and get into cvs soon.

Take care,