gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: More problems with solaris build

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: More problems with solaris build
Date: 23 Feb 2002 10:06:02 -0500

Greetings!

Dan Stanger <address@hidden> writes:

> The default is to include readline support, which  requires libreadline
> and libncurses.
> However if these files are not present, shouldn't the configure complain
> about this?

Well, right now the way it is supposed to work is that support will be
included if present, and silently omitted otherwise.  Gcl will still
work without readline.  Isn't that more flexible?  The other options
are
1) compile failure if no readline found
2) configure warning

1) might seem a bit extreme, and 2) would most probably get lost in
   the voluminous configure output, no?  But if its useful to you, I
   could certainly add.

> I assume that they should be checked for in /usr/lib, /lib and
> /usr/local/lib,

Yes, actually the standard compiler lib path PLUS the contents of the
LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.  This is useful if you don't have
root on a machine, and put the libs in $HOME/usr/lib, for example.

> on solaris, since the gcc compiler may not be the only one installed.

Will configure not use another C compiler if gcc is not found?  I do
think gcc should be the default if found, though.  We have enough
maintenance problem as it is!

> Also, your debian path is still in the make files.

This is a long standing weakness of the current build process, which
I've intended to replace with a genuine Makefile.am based solution.
I've deferred this task, though, until we get a few more platforms
building correctly, as I don't want too many moving parts yet.  Should
be easy and straightforward when done.  But in any case, the existing
paths are harmless, and will be overwritten by the user's paths after
configure.  Is this not the case for you?  Do you think we should
reorient the priorities in some way?

On the positive side, I've just about gotten a sparc-linux build using
gcc-3.0!  More on this later.