gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] more on evenp bug

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] more on evenp bug
Date: 08 Mar 2002 12:50:00 -0500

Greetings!

Lou Glassy <address@hidden> writes:

> Some more information:
>
> I'm running gcl-2.5.0 (cvs date 2002-0219).  The actual binaries
> come from the gcl_2.5.0.cvs20020219-1_i386.deb Debian binary
> package in the Debian unstable release.
>
> My host is a Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 system (Intel Celeron cpu).

Good to see your choice of OS :-)

> Looking through the source code, it looks like something
> is happening in gcl/o/num_pred.c, in the function number_evenp().
> Somehow when we exceed 32 bits in size (is this when we switch from
> using fixnums to bignums?), something goes berzerk.

Yes, I concur.  I looked at this a few days ago, at it appears that
the code is there to handle the bignums, but the *reader* is not
detecting a bignum from the input string, and is truncating to an
integer.

You seem to know a bit about lisp.  Is there anything like a C "type
cast" which can force an item to be stored as a bignum?  I doubt it
actually.

OK, the best thing is to compile with -g, run under gdb, break at
number_evenp, do a backtrace "bt", and see where the input was
generated and how the lisp object was setup as a fixnum.  I'll try to
do this when I get time, but if you are in a hurry, this is the way
I'd go.

Take care,