gcl-devel

Re: [Fw: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl on ms windows

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Fw: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl on ms windows
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:11:42 -0800 (PST)

--- Mike Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm pleased to announce that I now have a native Win32 (text mode
> only) build of Maxima 5.9 as well as GCL 2.5, both based on the
latest
> CVS sources.  The build was hosted under Cygwin using the standalone
> Mingw32 1.1 gcc compiler.  I have done some simple polynomial
> factorisation, linear and non-linear equation manipulation, linear
> algebra and integration to do a first, successful, check of the
> viability of this setup.

  Holy cow.  Fantastic!

> Thanks to Camm (various bits of help), Rainer Keuchel (for the memory
> checking code from his WinCE/32 port of GCL and inspiration) and Dan
> Stanger (pointer about fasd format switch and other knowledge
> bootstrapping).

  Excellent job everyone!

> In compiling Maxima, I found that there is a bug in GCL's
> MAKE-PATHNAME function which I have not had time to fix - it doesn't
> handle executable names with .exe extensions properly.  I worked
> around this by using STRING-RIGHT-TRIM on the result of SI::ARGV in
> "init_max1.lisp".
>
> I will be unable to do anything further on this for a couple of days,
> but I hope to check everything into CVS as soon as possible.

  Also, when you get a chance, can you write up (in as much detail as
possible as to procedure) how you perform the compile?  I'm not sure
I'll be able to duplicate this, but I'd like to try in order to begin
working on the problems of packaging a Windows compile into a self
installing executable and get the procedure recorded in the
documentation.

> I guess after that the next steps will be:
>
>   - making the help system work (more path trouble I think),
>   - making binaries available for testing,
>   - reviving XMaxima,
>   - tuning the configuration process, and
>   - using MSYS rather than Cygwin to host the build.
>
> I make no promises on time frames for this list.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike Thomas.

Thanks for all your great work!

CY