gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: new binutils GCL incompatibility

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: new binutils GCL incompatibility
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 13:18:09 +0400

Camm Maguire wrote:

> Greetings!  Just checking with you Vadim, are both of these items
> working for you now?

I've cleared the binutils problem at least for myself last night.
Now I'm almost 100% sure that the whole trouble is solely due to
binutils bug.  I've checked various binutils versions and found out
that only in the version which caused the problem bdf.h
inputs stdbool.h and thus creates the conflict.
In the previous and in the subsequent binutils this is not
the case and everything works fine even without any
modification.  So I'm sorry for bothering you with the problem
but I really didn't expected to find such a bug in binutils!

Problem with tk.o loading disappeared after one of your recent
patches.

Playing with various binutils and compilers I was surprised to
find out that GCL builds well with recent gcc 2.96.
A while ago I've tried gcc 2.96.  GCL and Maxima
compiled without trouble but Maxima gave weird results
on meny problems like integrate(x,x) etc.
Lowering optimization level as was recommended by DR. Shelter
did not help and I decided that  GCL with gcc 2.96 is completely
broken.  But now it works.  At least I don't see any visible errors
but maybe some more extensive testing is required.