gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: new and improved results.

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: new and improved results.
Date: 05 Jun 2002 17:25:42 -0400

Greetings!

address@hidden writes:

> the awk fix for libbfd and libiberty is ok.

great!

> the test for awk isn't, you need to test for nawk first

why?  If awk is not available, should then test for nawk.

> if you are on solaris, maybe a test for gawk before either
> of these is a good idea.

???  incompatibilities?

> second, isnormal is not defined on solaris, following

isnormal is defined on posix systems under an extension, which is
turned on with the macro _GNU_SOURCE.  Obviously won't be there for
solaris, but maybe something analogous is?  This is the only sensible
way to distinguish between the least-normalized and least-unnormalized
float constants.  Although we might get by with !isnormal ==
fabs(f)<FLT_MIN.  Please dig for the equivalent test on your box, and
we can implement.

For  the record, normailized floats have a mantissa and exponent, and
typically imply a hidden bit.  when the exponent is completely empty,
the mantissa alone implies an effective exponent which extends the
float range down to the unnormalized mon, losing precision gradually
along the way.

Take care,