gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Makefiles and .def files

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Makefiles and .def files
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 16:59:35 +1000

Hi Camm.

Would it be possible to:

1.   Arrange for the configure system to copy the machine specific
"h/xxx.defs" file to "h/config.defs" (as already done with config.h) and

2.  Modify the makefiles to

    include h/config.defs

rather than patching them during configure so that they are inherently
different to the CVS Makefiles on platforms other than Linux.

I ask because:

1. The current system is really messy when doing "cvs diff" on overall
changes that one makes during extended hack sessions.  The report fills up
with voluminous and boring Makefile diffs which make it easy to miss
essential changes to object file lists etc.

2. It is impossible to check in global Makefile changes on systems other
than Linux, without first deleting the Makefile, making the mods, then
checking in the changes, then reconfiguring and building to check that the
second hand changes were in fact done correctly before check in.

It may seem lazy on my part, but I'm referring this to you as you are in a
position to test the idea on other platforms whereas I am not (I only have a
Mingw system for GCL tests and development) and you have a better grasp on
configure.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.