gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [axiom] Gcl and libmport

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [axiom] Gcl and libmport
Date: 12 Jun 2002 15:09:13 -0400

Greetings!

root <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
>
> Where is the official list for problems? I just did a checkout of the
> latest CVS tree followed by (./configure ; make) and I get:

> (cd unixport; make saved_gcl)
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gcl1/unixport'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../mp/libmport.a', needed by `raw_gcl'.
> Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gcl1/unixport'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

OK, your configure failed to sub-configure gmp correctly, is my
guess.  Please post your full build-output, esp. configure output.

The official gcl-error list is here, address@hidden

> It appears that the makefile in unixport needs the following changes and
> additions:
>
> # 20020611000 tpd need to make libmport before building raw_gcl
> raw_$(SYSTEM):  libmport.a $(FOR_RAW)
>       $(LDCC)  -o raw_$(SYSTEM)$(EXE) $(FOR_RAW) ${LIBC} $(LIBS1)
>
> # 20020611001 tpd stanza to build libmport.a for raw_gcl
> libmport.a:
>       @ echo making ../mp/libmport.a
>       ( cd ../mp ; $(MAKE) )
>
> However, Louis Glassy points out that libmport.a is not required.

Yes.

> I'm confused. Does this build cleanly on your system? It can't be

It does, but we may not have a perfectly robust configure program
yet.   I also believe gcl build out of the box on stock Redhat (I use
Debian), right Vadim?

> a compiler issue as it appears to be a missing dependency in the
> makefile rather than a compiler bug. If I struggle past this problem
> I get the same issue with libgmp.a.
>
> Let me know where the official bug reporting list is and I'll send
> complaints to it directly. I checked the Gnu website but it doesn't
> list any.
>
> Tim

Take care,