gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] accessing c libraries from gcl

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] accessing c libraries from gcl
Date: 19 Jun 2002 15:31:33 -0400

Greetings!

John Jorgensen <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a good description somewhere about how to access C libraries from
> GCL? Do I still have to find a way to compile in support for any C
> libraries that I might need (like TK), or is there a way (on a modern
> linux box) to dynamically load a library? Does the fasload stuff that Camm
> has been working on have something to do with this?
>
> As an example of what I want to do, I want to use gd to build images on
> the fly (for a web based game), but I'd really prefer to do it right from
> lisp instead of calling out to an external program.
>
> I see some documentation on faslink, but I believe that it hasn't been
> updated for linux/elf yet...

Indeed.  While I haven't looked very closely, I do think we have a
shot at faslink with the bfd relocation stuff.  faslink is what you
want for ease and simplicity; check out the info page.  Otherwise, you
need to rebuild your image from source, defining the EXTRAS make
variable with the libs you want.  This is described in the info page
also, as well as in an earlier post I submitted with the comments at
the head of littleXlisp.lsp, if I recall.  You can probably find the
discussion in the mailing archives.

I'll try to get a look at faslink sometime soon.  But right now, there
are more pressing things.  If you want a project, please dive in!

Take care,