gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] The state of gcl/maxima

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] The state of gcl/maxima
Date: 25 Jun 2002 21:05:13 -0400

Greetings!  I just uploaded some new Debian packages today -- barring
minor oversights, maxima should now be available to a great many more
users!

I thought I'd summarize the "porting" state of gcl/maxima.  BFD refers
to working bfd relocations -- sgc refers to the accelerated garbage
collection via mprotect/fault address capture:

cpu    OS       BFD    SGC   compile  max5.6 5.6test    Note:
                    (kernels)

x86    Linux    yes    all   pass     pass   pass
ppc    Linux    yes    2.4x  pass     pass   pass       (1)
sparc  Linux    yes     no   pass     pass   pass       (2)
m68k   Linux    yes    all   pass     pass   pass
arm    Linux    yes     no   pass     pass   one sigill (3)
s390   Linux    yes     no   pass     pass   pass       (4)

mips   Linux    no      no   pass     no     no         (5)
mipsel Linux    no      no   pass     no     no         (5)

alpha  Linux    no      no   pass     no     no         (6)
ia64   Linux    no      no   pass     no     no         (6)
hppa   Linux    no      no   pass     no     no         (6)

sparc  solaris  yes     yes  pass     pass   two errors (7)

x86    w32      ???     no   pass     pass   pass       (8)

???    xBSD     ???     ???  ????     ????   ????       (9)
???    osX      ???     ???  ????     ????   ????       (9)

(1)  at least with kernels 2.4.x, SGC relies on siginfo_t here
(2)  sparc seems to honor siginfo_t in newer kernels, but apparently
        minor issue remains in sgbc.c with PTR_ALIGN being set to 8.
(3)  any info, Philip?
(4)  should work with 2.4.x, cannot yet test.  Can you test for me,
        Gerhard?
(5)  mips/mipsel should be fully functional once the relocation
        support in the bfd library is finished, or I get around to
        writing a workaround.  MIPS_GOT16 relocs are not currently
        handled by the bfd.  Any knowledgeable mips people interested?
(6)  all these 64bit ports compile, but likely still have a few issues
        with sizeof(int)
(7)  Dan, can you chase these down in a debugger?  What about 5.9 on
        solaris?
(8)  Mike, would like to know if bfd and/or sgc are working for you.
(9)  Anyone looking at these?

Take care,