gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Does the --enable-ansi config option work?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Does the --enable-ansi config option work?
Date: 06 Aug 2002 08:20:24 -0400

Greetings!

"Paul F. Dietz" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire wrote:
> >
> > Greetings, and thanks for your report!  I also was unable to compile
> > with --enable-ansi, but I got a compilation error on cache.lisp, which
> > is after macros.lisp in the pcl build sequence. I've just committed a
> > fix to cmpif.lsp, with which I can now compile the ansi stuff without
> > error.  I've also reconfirmed the maxima build.  Please try it out,
> > and see if it works for you.
>
> Thanks, but it still bombs for me.  Here's the tail end of the make output:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dietz/gcl/gcl/clcs'
> echo '(load "package.lisp")(load "loading.lisp")(jamie-load-clcs :compile)' |
> ../pcl/saved_gcl_pcl
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  Version(2.5.0) Sat Aug  3 17:46:43 CDT 2002
> Licensed under GNU Library General Public License
> Contains Enhancements by W. Schelter

> Compiling precom.lisp.
> End of Pass 1.
> End of Pass 2.
> OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=1 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3
> Finished compiling precom.lisp.
> Compiling macros.lisp.
>
> Unrecoverable error: Segmentation violation..
> make[1]: *** [compile] Error 134
> make: *** [clcs/saved_full_gcl] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dietz/gcl/gcl/clcs'
>
> ----------
>
> I've got rpms gcc-2.96-81 and glibc-2.2.2-10 installed.

                ^^^^^^^^^^^

OK, this is the infamous buggy redhat gcc snapshot, never intented for
release by the gcc people.  Please try *any* other released gcc
version -- 2.95, 3.0, or 3.1.  I'll wager this clears everything up,
but if not, kindly please compile gcl with -g (in linux.defs), omit
the -fomit-frame-pointer flag, and then run the compilation command
governing macros.lisp in gdb, and report where the segfault is.

Come to think of it, I've just increased the level of optimization
passed to gcc by gcl in the command-line flags.  If I recall, there
was a work around for this buggy redhat gcc by lowering the
optimization level.  You could also try that, if you want -- take '-O6
-fomit-frame-pointer' down to '-O2' or '-O', for example.  But in
general, gcl probably shouldn't waste too much time supporting this
mistaken gcc release.

Take care,