gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.5.0

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.5.0
Date: 10 Aug 2002 10:10:12 -0400

Greetings!

"Gordon Shaw Novak" <address@hidden> writes:

> I did a re-make of gcl-2.5.0 on the Linux 3.0 (on vanaheim) and
> it seems to work, though I've only tested it lightly so far.
> It does at least compile a small function without error, so
> hopefully you can now try to compile your stuff.

This is a CVS snapshot as of when?  Any special configure options?  In
particular, it looks like you are not linking with libbfd?  The
Configure output would suffice here.

> The only error I encountered was that GCL is now expecting the
> readline library header files, which don't exist on our Linux.
> I downloaded readline and manually hacked the files to use the
> .h files that I downloaded.

Readline should be an option -- i.e. the build should proceed without
readline support if it can't find the headers and libs.  I haven't
tested this recently.  If it doesn't work, it is a bug, and a report
would be appreciated.

Since you are running Debian, AFAIR, you might want to check out the
gcl cvs snapshot packages from unstable that I've been uploading.
They use the default configure options that I'm using in testing
maxima builds, for example.  Other options are intended to work, but
have not been tested as thoroughly.

In particular, gcl is moving toward using libbfd as the default for
its relocations.  Gcl will build with the default custom relocation code
if it cannot find libbfd, or if instructed to do so with configure
options.  (Might want to check out ./configure --help ; these options
will be pruned when 2.5.0 is released.) From the subsequent mail to
this, it appears as if libbfd is not being used.  The only consequence
is that what appears to be the error would have been caught earlier
and reported more clearly.  See my reply to the subsequent mail.

Take care,