gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: "COMMON-LISP" package in GCL 2.5.0

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: "COMMON-LISP" package in GCL 2.5.0
Date: 23 Aug 2002 11:23:06 -0400

Greetings!  I've had opportunity to build the acl2 sources using gcl,
and did the regression test after downloading the additional
workbooks.

1) I could package this for Debian pretty easily.  It would of course
   provide another integrity test for gcl.  And it would at one time
   make binaries of acl2 available for 10 architectures. But would
   such a package prove useful to anyone, i.e. an end user?  Is this
   just of theoretical interest?

2) If it were packaged, I'd want to put an integrity test in to verify
   the build, but it shouldn't be arbitrarily long, especially as
   Debian runs on some very slow machines.  I'd appreciate a good
   suggestion.

3) I take it the additional workbooks should be distributed as well?

4) Since it appears that the people at U Texas use Debian, one
   scenario might be for me to upload the package if it is useful, and
   for some more knowledgeable person (i.e. someone who works with it
   regularly) to maintain it.  Such a person could apply to be a
   Debian developer, or just field bug reports as they come in with me
   overseeing the uploads.  Any thoughts?

Take care,