gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: building GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: building GCL
Date: 28 Aug 2002 21:49:58 -0400

Greetings!  Thanks for following up with this Mike!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Stephen.
>
> In answer to one of your questions below, the best place to get GCL help is
> the GCL developers mailing list (users and developers really as there is no
> other list - GCL users and developers seem to be thin on the ground) to
> which I have CC'ed this reply.  You are welcome to join it via the "Lists"
> link at the main GCL page:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gcl/

If anyone would like a separate gcl-users list, please let me know.

> > I got Maxima running, and did my immediate task (sped up a computation
> > by 300%).
>
> Great news.
>
> Were you using a different compiler with Maxima or a completely different
> package?
>
> What sort of computations?
>
> We are always interested in hearing about how people are using GCL and what
> it is about GCL which makes it useful to people.

Always good to hear this.

> > Where is the GCL CVS? I found one at UTexas, but there's also a Maxima
> > CVS there, which is now superceded by the SourceForge one. However, I
> > did not find a SourceForge GCL project, so I'm confused.
>
> I'm blurry on the details, but as GCL is "official" GNU software it is
> hosted by the Free Software Foundation.  (Or maybe it is the other way
> round?)

GCL is the official Common Lisp for the Free Software Foundation.  The
FSF has set up its own sourceforge-like hosting site,
savannah.gnu.org, due to concerns it had about the future of
sourceforge.  I consulted with RMS, and while he said either site
would be fine, he preferred savannah, so that's what I chose.

I do agree that we might want to do something at some point about the
utexas site -- perhaps put a note readily visible as to its historical
nature?

Take care,