gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Building GCL and Maxima plotting - Windows

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Building GCL and Maxima plotting - Windows
Date: 28 Aug 2002 21:54:23 -0400

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually it doesn't use Tk support in GCL at all and Tk is not supported yet
> by GCL on Windows.  XMAXIMA is a Wish wrapper script which communicates with

Just wondering what the roadblock to gcl-tk on Windows was.  I guess
its not critical at present.

> ./configure --enable-custreloc --prefix c:/wherever/you/want/to/install

Do you need the --enable-custreloc, or will configure default to that
on Windows?

> > Ok, I guess I can try this. Apparently msys is a replacement for
> > cygwin? I can't tell from the Sourceforge site.
>
> It's a fork of Cygwin which is designed to ease the use of GNU autoconf,
> automake and other build and configuration utilities to produce pure Win32
> executables with the Mingw32 toolset ie, they depend solely on the DLLs
> which come with Windows.
>
> In particular, unlike Cygwin, it does not provide a POSIX library to emulate
> Unix in your final executable.  As such it works very well, although it is
> still early days yet.

So it sounds as if both cygwin and mingw are active ongoing projects.
Is there any reason to prefer one over the other with respect to gcl
in the long run?  Cygwin doesn't happen to emulate elf, does it?

Take care,