gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Current state of the ansi test suite

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Current state of the ansi test suite
Date: 29 Sep 2002 23:33:09 -0400

Greetings!  And thank you again for these tests!

"Paul F. Dietz" <address@hidden> writes:

> Currently, 52 tests are failing:
>
> 52 out of 2499 total tests failed: LAST-11, LAST-12, LAST-13, LAST-14,
> LAST-15, LDIFF-5, TAILP-4,
>    NTHCDR-1, NTHCDR-2, NTHCDR-3, NTHCDR-4, NTHCDR-5, NTHCDR-6,
>    NTHCDR-12, MEMBER-IF-4, MEMBER-IF-NOT-4, SET-EXCLUSIVE-OR-17,
>    SET-EXCLUSIVE-OR-17-A, SET-EXCLUSIVE-OR-18, SET-EXCLUSIVE-OR-18-A,
>    MAKE-SEQUENCE-ERROR.1, MAKE-SEQUENCE-ERROR.2, MAKE-SEQUENCE-ERROR.3,
>    MAKE-SEQUENCE-ERROR.4, MAKE-SEQUENCE-ERROR.5, MAKE-SEQUENCE-ERROR.6,
>    MAKE-SEQUENCE-ERROR.7, MAP-STRING.31, MAP-STRING.32, MAP-ERROR.2,
>    CONCATENATE-ERROR.3, MERGE-ERROR.2, MERGE-ERROR.3, MERGE-ERROR.4,
>    MERGE-ERROR.5, MERGE-ERROR.6, REMOVE-LIST.3, REMOVE-LIST.22,
>    STRUCTURE-1-13, STRUCTURE-1-14, STRUCTURE-1-15, BOOLEAN-TYPE-1,
>    BOOLEAN-TYPE-2, BOOLEAN-TYPE-3, TYPES-3, TYPES-5, TYPES-6, TYPES-8,
>    TYPES-9, TYPES-9A, READ-SYMBOL-8, READ-SYMBOL-10.

1) First I think even with the caveats you metion, the fewness of
   failures here is an encouraging sign.
2) Many of these are simply a case of a 'simple' error being returned
   in place of a 'type' error, and can therefore be fixed at once.  It
   would help if someone could save me the time of searching through
   the code and just give me a brief explanation of how the conditions
   system throws and catches errors, and how they are typed.

> The tests MEMBER-IF-4 and MEMBER-IF-NOT-4 are still failing.  The

3)  I'm looking at this.

> packages tests are still commented out until we can fix some
> problems in DEFPACKAGE.  And, don't forget, this test suite still

I don't know the issues here, but perhaps they are related to some
other warnings I'd like to clear up in our existing code.  Namely,
those produced when recompiling the .lsp files into .c.  Apart from
redefinitions, here they are (base non-pcl/clcs code only):

Compiling defstruct.lsp.
; (IN-PACKAGE 'SYSTEM) is being compiled.
;; Warning: The package operation (IN-PACKAGE 'SYSTEM) was in a bad place.
; (DEFUN MAKE-PREDICATE ...) is being compiled.
;; The variable Y is undefined.
;; The compiler will assume this variable is a global.
Warning: DEFSTRUCT is being redefined.
Warning: not replacing s-data property

Compiling top.lsp.
; (DEFUN BREAK-CALL ...) is being compiled.
;; Warning:
;; BREAK-CALL Number of proclaimed args was 3.
;;Its definition had 2.
End of Pass 2.

Compiling destructuring_bind.lsp.
; (DEFUN PARSE-DEFMACRO-LAMBDA-LIST ...) is being compiled.
;; Warning: DEFMACRO-ERROR (in lisp package) is called as a function--not yet
defined
;; Warning: DEFMACRO-ERROR (in lisp package) is called as a function--not yet
defined
;; Warning: DEFMACRO-ERROR (in lisp package) is called as a function--not yet
defined
;; Warning: MAKE-KEYWORD (in lisp package) is called as a function--not yet
defined
;; Warning: MAKE-KEYWORD (in lisp package) is called as a function--not yet
defined

Compiling defpackage.lsp.
; (PROVIDE :DEFPACKAGE) is being compiled.
;; Warning: The package operation (PROVIDE :DEFPACKAGE) was in a bad place.
; (IN-PACKAGE "USER") is being compiled.
;; Warning: The package operation (IN-PACKAGE "USER") was in a bad place.
; (USE-PACKAGE "DEFPACKAGE") is being compiled.
;; Warning: The package operation (USE-PACKAGE "DEFPACKAGE") was in a bad place.

I don't yet know what it means for a package operation to "be in a bad
place".

Take care,