gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl/acl2

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl/acl2
Date: 01 Nov 2002 19:41:24 -0500

Greetings, and thanks for your reply!

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Camm --
>
> That's really great that GCL is in such good shape!
>
> I've added two targets to the top-level ACL2 Makefile for you, so that you can
> easily run short tests.  In both cases, the exit status should be 0 if the
> test
> succeeded and non-zero otherwise.  Two files need to be edited: Makefile and
> books/Makefile.  At the end below are editing instructions, but if you'd
> rather
> I just email you the entire files, let me know.

Many thanks!  I've added these.  BTW, Debian's autobuilders expect
*some* output from the build at least every 15 minutes.  For
potentially long running tests with redirected standard output, I
usually use this trick:

        $(MAKE) short-test-aux > short-test.log 2> short-test.log & j=$$! ; \
        tail -f --pid=$$j --retry short-test.log & wait $$j

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/acl2/

> By the way, I'm hoping that we will release the next version (2.7) of ACL2
> later this month.  (It's been a year since we released ACL2 2.6.)

Great!  Any surprises?

> Finally, regarding your emacs point:
>
> >> Also, a Debian user has already brought up a minor issue in the emacs
> >> lisp interface regarding differences between xemacs and GNU emacs.  He
> >> is suggesting the following:
> >>
> >> =============================================================================
> >> (defun acl2-shared-lisp-mode-map ()
> >>   "Return the shared lisp-mode-map, independent of Emacs version."
> >>   (if (boundp 'shared-lisp-mode-map)
> >>       shared-lisp-mode-map
> >>     lisp-mode-shared-map))
> >>
> >> and replacing references to shared-lisp-mode-map with
> >> (acl2-shared-lisp-mode-map) ought to work.  (I actually even tested
> >> the approach with GNU Emacs 20, GNU Emacs 21, and XEmacs 21 this
> >> time; I get byte-compiler warnings, but that's all. ;-))
> >>
> >> Do you have any thoughts here?
>
> Thanks very much.  I guess you're referring to directory interface/emacs/ in
> the ACL2 distribution; is that right?  Your solution looks reasonable to me.

OK, its in.

Thanks again!