gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] gcl/acl2

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] gcl/acl2
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 20:42:20 -0800 (PST)

> BTW, do I undertand correctly that you wrote the new maxima web
> page?

Well...  That's a stretch.  I got a template from oswd and used it.  So
if that counts, yes I did, but a much better html guru did the real
work.

> Would you have any time and or interest in doing something similar
> for us? Not to worry if the answer is negative :-)

I doubt it will be too hard - time for another template :-).  I've
written up a page and attached it to this email.  My older netscape
doesn't seem to like it too well, but Mozilla and Konqueror are both
happy with it.  See what you think.  I don't really trust my old
netscape much, but it may need some tweaking.  I'm not sure what
content you want on there Camm, but hopefully it will at least provide
a decent framework.

> BTW, again, I happen to be an alumn of the smu business school.

An open source lisp hacker who has gone through SMU business school?
Urk - gurgle - brain overloading... does not compute... ;-)

CY

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
GCL - GNU Common Lisp

Menu
» Get Latest Release
» Get CVS
» Devel Mailing List
» Archives
» Bugs

Links
» Clisp
» CMUCL
» Maxima
» ACL2
» Clikii
» Lisp.org

Hosting
» This project is hosted on the Savannah software development website.

GCL - an implimentation of a Common Lisp Environment

GCL is the product of many hands over many years. The original effort was known as the Kyoto Common Lisp system, written by Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya in 1984. In 1987 new work was begun by William Schelter, and that version of the system was called AKCL (Austin Kyoto Common Lisp). In 1994 AKCL was released as GCL (GNU Common Lisp) under the GNU public library license. The primary purpose of GCL during that phase of it's existance was to support the Maxima computer algebra system, also maintained by Dr. Schelter. It existed largely as a subproject of Maxima. After the passing of Dr. Schelter in 2001, it was decided that GCL should be actively maintained and improved. Camm Maguire volunteered to become project lead, and the next phase in the life of GCL was begun. Current efforts include code cleanup, working to ensure that gcl runs successfully on all platforms supported by the Debian project, and a gradual move towards becoming a true ANSI Common Lisp. There is also an effort to add MPI support to GCL.

Some advantages

  • GCL compiles to C and then uses the native optimizing C compiler (e.g., GCC), giving excellent portability.
  • Very efficient. A function call is basically the same speed as a C function call, in fact identical to a C function call via a pointer.
  • A source level Lisp debugger (dbl) for interpreted code, letting you step a line at a time, while displaying the your position in an Emacs window. This is invaluable when trying to understand large systems.
  • Pioneered conservative Garbage Collection schemes.
  • Has a garbage collection scheme, for only recent allocations, based on native page fault handling. This is the stratified garbage collection (SGC).
  • Very reliable.
  • Built in interface to Tk widget system. Allows a mixture of tcl and common lisp to be used in a user interface--your choice which you use.
BODY {
        COLOR: Black;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #D3DEE4;
        FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        MARGIN:5px;
        PADDING:0px;
}

.bg{
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #718E9D;
}

.zoeken{
        COLOR: #999999;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #393D40;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        PADDING-left: 10px;
}
.zinput{
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #7C98A6;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        COLOR: #000000;
        HEIGHT: 14px;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
}
.zoeken2{
        COLOR: #000000;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #B6C1C7;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        HEIGHT: 16px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: center;
}

a.menub:link, a.menub:visited, a.menub:active {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5C6466;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        PADDING-left: 6px;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        BORDER-LEFT: 0px;
        BORDER-TOP: 0px;
        BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px;
        WIDTH: 90px;
  }

a.menub:hover {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #7C98A6;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        PADDING-left: 6px;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        BORDER-LEFT: 0px;
        BORDER-TOP: 0px;
        BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px;
        WIDTH: 90px;
}

.menubar{
        COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5C6466;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
}
.conarea{
        COLOR: Black;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: White;
        FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
}
.mltop{
        COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #7C98A6;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: center;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        BORDER-LEFT: 0px;
        BORDER-RIGHT: 0px;
        WIDTH: 100%;
}
.ml{
        COLOR: #000000;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        BORDER-LEFT: 0px;
        BORDER-RIGHT: 0px;
        BORDER-TOP: 0px;
        PADDING-left: 10px;
        WIDTH: 100%;
}

.nav1 {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        COLOR: #000000;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
        PADDING-left: 20px;
}

.content{
        PADDING-left: 15px;
        PADDING-right: 15px;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
}
a:link, a:visited, a:active {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        COLOR: #537BB6;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;

}

a:hover {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        COLOR: #CC0000;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;

}

a.copyright:link, a.copyright:visited, a.copyright:active {
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: normal;
        COLOR: #00008B;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
}

a.copyright:hover {
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: normal;
        COLOR: #537BB6;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
}

a.menubar:link, a.menubar:visited, a.menubar:active {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        COLOR: #537BB6;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
        FONT-SIZE: 11px;

}

a.menubar:hover {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        COLOR: #CC0000;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
        FONT-SIZE: 11px;

}

.date {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
        COLOR: #000000;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
        PADDING-right: 20px;
}

.copyright {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        COLOR: #00008B;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
}

.title {
        COLOR: #00008B;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        FONT-SIZE: 20pt;
        FONT-FAMILY: Georgia, Verdana, arial, helvetica, serif;
}

TABLE {
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        COLOR: #000000;
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, arial, helvetica, serif;
        PADDING: 0;
}

input{
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #7C98A6;