gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl compilation report (redhat 7.3, gcc 3.2, gcl 2.4

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl compilation report (redhat 7.3, gcc 3.2, gcl 2.4.3)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:41:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi Camm,

Thanks for your mail.  Unfortunately, i know very little about how
to make a configure build in a non-source directory.

However, there's a wonderful book
   GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool
by
   Gary V. Vaughan, Ben Elliston, Tom Tromey, and Ian Lance Taylor
published by New Riders (isbn 1-57870-190-2).

And right at the start of the book (page 12) it praises the virtues of
keeping 3 directories (source, build, and install), and perhaps
chapter 7 may explain how to do it---however it's hard for me to tell
by just glancing through it because i'm not a maintainer, so i've
never done this from the maintainer's end.

But one person who would know for sure how to do it, and who
is very nice as well, is Ian Taylor (address@hidden).  And if a method
is described in the book, he should be able to supply chapter and verse
as to where.

Sorry not to have anything more specific, and thanks for adding the
emacs directory option.

dan

   From: Camm Maguire <address@hidden>
   Date: 13 Nov 2002 14:41:53 -0500
   > Suppose that i've unpacked the distribution and it is in
   >     /home/lisp/gcl-2.4.3
   > Then i do this:
   >     mkdir /home/lisp/build
   >     cd /home/lisp/build
   >     ../gcl-2.4.3/configure   <<<configure arguments . . .>>>
   > The configure script will work, or, at least, write some files and then
   > exit with 0 status.
   >
   > But when i type
   >     make
   > in the /home/lisp/build directory, the build will fail.
   >
   > However, if i instead do
   >     cd /home/lisp/gcl-2.4.3
   >     ./configure <<<configure arguments . . .>>>
   >     make
   > the build will work.

   This is new to me!  How is this accomplished in gcc?  Can autoconf
   generated configure scripts be setup to do this automatically?