gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl/acl2

From: Matt Kaufmann
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl/acl2
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 13:40:38 -0600 (CST)

Hi --

I just downloaded the following to my Redhat Linux 7.3 home machine; some
comments are below.

http://incoming.debian.org/acl2_2.6-14_i386.deb
http://incoming.debian.org/acl2-doc_2.6-14_all.deb

I unpacked acl2_2.6-14_i386.deb using "ar x acl2_2.6-14_i386.deb" followed by
"tar zxf data.tar.gz", into a directory /home/kaufmann/apps/acl2/v2-6/.  I also
created a doc/ subdirectory, /home/kaufmann/apps/acl2/v2-6/doc/, and similarly
unpacked acl2-doc_2.6-14_all.deb there.  I'll refer below to
/home/kaufmann/apps/acl2/v2-6 as "....".

1. The books reside in ..../usr/share/acl2-2.6/books/, but
/home/kaufmann/apps/acl2/v2-6/usr/lib/acl2-2.6/books/ has just a portion of the
book directories, perhaps because you haven't yet included a full make in the
process.  (Or maybe that make was intended to be done as part of Debian package
installation?? -- which I'm avoiding since I have a Redhat machine.)

2. The .cert files are invalid, as they need correct absolute pathnames, which
were incorrect for my machine, e.g.  (from
..../usr/share/acl2-2.6/books/arithmetic/abs.cert):

/fix/t1/camm/tmp/acl2-2.6/books/arithmetic/abs.lisp

I think that the book certification will have to be done at installation time
rather than on your machine.  That probably means that there's no reason for
you to distribute the .o files for the books, since they will be re-created at
certification time.

It may be possible in some future ACL2 release to modify the nature of .cert
files so that they can refer to a system directory that avoids the need to
place those absolute pathnames in the .cert file.  With such a change, I think
you would be able to distribute .cert files.  Let me know if you think that is
important, in which case I'll put that on our "to do" list.

3. There is no need to distribute ..../usr/share/acl2-2.6/TMP1.lisp.

4. I'm not so sure about moving some of the stuff into doc.  For example,
..../doc/usr/share/doc/acl2-doc/books/arithmetic/README
talks about "contents of this directory", yet there are no such
contents -- the contents are in ..../usr/share/acl2-2.6/books/*/.

5. I didn't immediately find ..../doc/usr/share/info/.  But maybe Debian users
would know to look there.

-- Matt