gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Webpage

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Webpage
Date: 26 Nov 2002 16:24:47 -0500

Greetings, and thank you *very much* for your contribution!  I'd just
been too bogged down to get to it until now.  I just uploaded a
modified version into webcvs, but don't see it yet on the site.
Perhaps a cron needs to run.  We'll see in 24 hrs...

In any case, I'd greatly appreciate any and all further feedback.  I'm
no expert in this area.  In particular, I'd like to know if any
potentially useful information is missing, or if anything included is
not of general interest.

I'm including the edited files here as well.

BTW, would be interested in knowing what you used to produce this,
esp. the style.css.

Take care,

style.css
BODY {
        COLOR: Black;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #D3DEE4;
        FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        MARGIN:5px;
        PADDING:0px;
}

.bg{
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #718E9D;
}

.zoeken{
        COLOR: #999999;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #393D40;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        PADDING-left: 10px;
}
.zinput{
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #7C98A6;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        COLOR: #000000;
        HEIGHT: 14px;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
}
.zoeken2{
        COLOR: #000000;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #B6C1C7;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        HEIGHT: 16px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: center;
}

a.menub:link, a.menub:visited, a.menub:active {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5C6466;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        PADDING-left: 6px;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        BORDER-LEFT: 0px;
        BORDER-TOP: 0px;
        BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px;
        WIDTH: 90px;
  }

a.menub:hover {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #7C98A6;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        PADDING-left: 6px;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        BORDER-LEFT: 0px;
        BORDER-TOP: 0px;
        BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px;
        WIDTH: 90px;
}

.menubar{
        COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5C6466;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
}
.conarea{
        COLOR: Black;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: White;
        FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
}
.mltop{
        COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #7C98A6;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        TEXT-ALIGN: center;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        BORDER-LEFT: 0px;
        BORDER-RIGHT: 0px;
        WIDTH: 100%;
}
.ml{
        COLOR: #000000;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        BORDER-LEFT: 0px;
        BORDER-RIGHT: 0px;
        BORDER-TOP: 0px;
        PADDING-left: 10px;
        WIDTH: 100%;
}

.nav1 {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
        COLOR: #000000;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
        PADDING-left: 20px;
}

.content{
        PADDING-left: 15px;
        PADDING-right: 15px;
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #FFFFFF;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        FONT-SIZE: 12px;
}
a:link, a:visited, a:active {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        COLOR: #537BB6;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;

}

a:hover {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        COLOR: #CC0000;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;

}

a.copyright:link, a.copyright:visited, a.copyright:active {
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: normal;
        COLOR: #00008B;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
}

a.copyright:hover {
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-WEIGHT: normal;
        COLOR: #537BB6;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
}

a.menubar:link, a.menubar:visited, a.menubar:active {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        COLOR: #537BB6;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
        FONT-SIZE: 11px;

}

a.menubar:hover {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        COLOR: #CC0000;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
        FONT-SIZE: 11px;

}

.date {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
        COLOR: #000000;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
        PADDING-right: 20px;
}

.copyright {
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
        TEXT-DECORATION: none;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        COLOR: #00008B;
        BACKGROUND: transparent;
}

.title {
        COLOR: #00008B;
        TEXT-ALIGN: left;
        FONT-SIZE: 20pt;
        FONT-FAMILY: Georgia, Verdana, arial, helvetica, serif;
}

TABLE {
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
        COLOR: #000000;
        FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, arial, helvetica, serif;
        PADDING: 0;
}

input{
        BACKGROUND-COLOR: #7C98A6;
        BORDER: 1px solid #000000;
        COLOR: #000000;
        FONT-FAMILY: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;
        FONT-SIZE: 10px;
}
gcl.html
<head>
  <title>GCL - GNU Common Lisp</title>
  <link href="style.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
BODY {
        SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: #7C98A6;
        SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: #ffffff;
        SCROLLBAR-SHADOW-COLOR: #cccccc;
        SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: #ffffff;
        SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #f8f8f8;
        SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: #f8f8f8;
        SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #000000
}</style>
</head>

bgcolor="#000000" align="center">
  <tbody>
      <th colspan="2">
          <tbody>
                border="0">
                  <tbody>
href="http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl";>About</a></td>
href="http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gcl";>Development</a></td>
href="ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl";>Download</a></td>
                  </tbody>
          </tbody>
      </th>

          <tbody>
href="ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl";>Get Latest
                Release</a><br>
                » <a class="menubar"
                href="ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/cvs/";>CVS
                binary packages</a><br>
                » <a class="menubar"
href="http://packages.debian.org/unstable/interpreters/gcl.html";> Debian
package page</a><br>
                » <a class="menubar"
href="http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcl/";>Browse CVS</a><br>
                » <a class="menubar"
href="http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/gcl-devel";>Devel Mailing List</a><br>
                » <a class="menubar"
href="http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gcl-devel/";>Archives</a><br>
                » <a class="menubar"
href="http://savannah.gnu.org/pm/task.php?group_project_id=375&group_id=879&func=browse";>Bugs</a><br>
          </tbody>

          <tbody>
                » <a class="menubar"
href="http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/moore/acl2/";>ACL2</a><br>
                » <a class="menubar"
href="http://ww.telent.net/cliki/index";>Cliki</a><br>
                » <a class="menubar" href="http://www.lisp.org";>Lisp.org</a>
          </tbody>

          <tbody>
href="http://savanna.gnu.org/projects/gcl";>Homepage</a><br>
          </tbody>

        GCL - an implementation of Common Lisp</div>
        <!-- Begin of Content -->

        GCL is the official Common Lisp for the GNU project.  Its
        design makes use of the system's C compiler to compile to
        native object code, providing for both good performance and
        facile portability.  GCL currently compiles itself and the
        primary free software Lisp applications, <a class="menubar"
        href="http://maxima.sf.net";>Maxima</a> and <a class="menubar"
        href="http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/moore/acl2/";>ACL2</a>, on
        eleven GNU/Linux architectures (x86 powerpc s390 sparc arm
        alpha ia64 hppa m68k mips mipsel), Windows, Sparc Solaris, and
        FreeBSD.  On most platforms, GCL can load native object code
        modules directly into its lisp core, where they are preserved
        in any custom lisp images produced via the save-system call.

        GCL has been
        <a
        href="http://packages.debian.org/unstable/interpreters/gcl.html";>
        packaged</a> for the Debian GNU/Linux operating system.

        While GCL was originally designed to meet the CLtL1 standard,
        recent development has brought GCL much of the way toward its
        current goal -- full ANSI compliance.  An ANSI regression test
        suite is being developed as part of this effort.  As of the
        time of this writing, the new ANSI behavior is enabled
        optionally at compile time with the configure switch
        --enable-ansi.

        Several GCL extensions exist, and are in various stages of
        incorporation.  xgcl, providing a Lisp interface to the X
        Windows system, is included in the main source tree.  <a
        href=http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/gene/pargcl.html>pargcl</a>,
        an <a href=http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/>MPI</a> extension
        enabling lisp programs to run in parallel across computing
        clusters, will be incorporated soon.  These efforts are good
        examples of GCL's foreign function interface, which is rather
        flexible due to its close relationship with C.

        Other Features:
        <ul>
        <li>Very efficient.  A function call is basically the same speed
        as a C function call, in fact identical to a C function call
        via a pointer.
        <li>A source level Lisp debugger (dbl) for interpreted
        code, letting you step a line at a time, while displaying the your
        position in an Emacs window.  This is invaluable when trying to
        understand large systems.
        <li>Pioneered conservative Garbage Collection schemes.
        <li>Has a garbage collection scheme, for only recent allocations,
        based on native page fault handling.  This is the stratified garbage
        collection (SGC).
        <li>Very reliable.
        <li>Built in interface to Tk widget system.  Allows a mixture
        of tcl and common lisp to be used in a user interface--your choice
        which you use.
        </ul>

        History

        GCL is the product of many hands over many years. The original
        effort was known as the Kyoto Common Lisp system, written by
        Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya in 1984.  In 1987 new work was
        begun by William Schelter, and that version of the system was
        called AKCL (Austin Kyoto Common Lisp).  In 1994 AKCL was
        released as GCL (GNU Common Lisp) under the GNU public library
        license.  The primary purpose of GCL during that phase of it's
        existence was to support the Maxima computer algebra system,
        also maintained by Dr. Schelter.  It existed largely as a
        subproject of Maxima.

        After the passing of Dr.  Schelter in 2001, it was decided
        that GCL should be actively maintained and improved.  GCL is
        currently maintained by a team of 12 developers across the
        world coordinated via the <a
        href=http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gcl-devel/>gcl-devel</a>
        mailing list.

        <!-- End of Content -->