gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL on windows.

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL on windows.
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:03:12 -0500

Tim,

Just to be clear. MinGW/Msys is not an extension of the
Windows operating system (like Cygwin is) but rather
just a minimal development environment that results in
a native Windows application. Originally there was
just a native windows GCC compiler called MinGW. Now
there is a rapidly growing set of utilitys and libraries
ported from the Linux originals which makes up Msys. So
far in my experience it is much faster than Cygwin and
seems to be in a state of very active development where as
Cygwin is now viewed (by some at least) as a bit "old
fashioned". A lot of the MinGW/Msys stuff is derived by
people with Cygwin experience.

The biggest difficulty that I see in MinGW is the lack
of the X-windows environment which is (more or less)
unique to Unix (and part of Cygwin). Microsoft Windows
itself *is* a windows environment but very different
from X-windows. So porting Unix graphical applications to
Microsoft Windows is currently rather difficult. But their
are some people working on methods to make this easier in
the future.

After several tests and trials, I think MinGW/Msys (rather
than Cygwin) is the best choice for building the Windows
version of Axiom.

Regards,
Bill Page.